Thursday, April 23, 2009

Choosing The Runes

"I didn't choose the runes, the runes chose me."

This is something I have come to realize over the years. I can't speak for everyone else, however I have found that more often than not we are 'chosen'. Well... that's all very vague and mysterious sounding. Let me get to the point. Whether it's I Ching, the Runes or Tarot we are chosen by our tools. There is one voice that speaks clearly to our hearts and minds. It calls us, and hopefully we answer. I was chosen by the Runes. I can read the Tarot, but it has never spoken to me as the Runes do. With my Mother, it's the exact opposite.
The Runes make themselves known to me in every day life. They've gone beyond a 'simple' divination tool. They have become my life. The Runes are my triumphs and my sorrows. I am destined to live out the Elder Futhark. Honestly I didn't know this would happen. I knew at 13 that I must possess the Runes, no matter how many times I got yelled at. You see, at age 13 (circa. 1992) a set of Runes had been brought into the house by my Mother. She thought they were interesting, and had never seen any before. I didn't really know or understand the concept of being naturally drawn to them. The only thing I knew was that I always felt the need to steal them from her. I would spend hours and hours conversing with them. I would hold them and listen to the sounds as they shifted in my hands. At 30, I can tell you that I was drawn to them. I risked being yelled at every time I took them. In the end, it was worth it. I suspect that at times I have a touch of Loki in my system; but that's another story.
Previously I mentioned that the Runes made themselves known to me in every day life. I wish to elaborate further. I'll skip ahead in my life story to the year 1999. The place was a chat server running the Spiritualitea chatrooms. In 1999 I met Sandra Posey (the web mistress.) One thing led to another and I was given a book to review. Actually it wasn't just a book, it was also a card set. I was asked to make comparisons, but I had no basis. To review, I had to research. The set was Silver Ravenwolf's "The Witche's Runes". By this time, I had been communing with the Runes for seven years. I use the term 'communing' because my better understanding and research hadn't started yet. I was told to make comparisons to traditional experts on the subject (people like Edred Thorsson and Freya Aswynn.) I needed to research. I was lucky actually, fate delivered the proper books to my eager little paws. I now could take things in a different direction. In the end it was Sandra's review work that caused me to take the next step with the Runes. They had chosen their time and I was going to listen damnit! In the year that followed, I met Odin and Tyr. I saw Runes in road salt. The Runes were speaking loudly to me. How could I not listen? Eventually I became a member of the Rune Gild (the organization run by Edred Thorsson.) My life became one big study session.The Runes are often obscure, but fail to be subtle. They will allow you to beat youself in the head until you get the message. They are merciless and often do not have much patience. Perhaps that's why they call to me? Who knows?
I began living out the lessons of the Runes in 2004 when I joined the Rune Gild. My awareness of the Runes changed upon reading Edred Thorsson's literature that he had sent to the Gild members. Like everyone's word; I took it with a grain of salt. He did however say things that made me think. In thinking, I started to 'become'. I would live out the Runes. Anyone who knows about the Runes will know this is both a blessing and a curse. I have seen the birth of inspiration to the violent destruction of my old ways. I would have preferred visions; thank you kindly. The Gods are funny that way. Despite all the highs and lows I really can't complain. The Runes are showing me things more than ever. I willingly make sacrifices for this knowledge. It is my path. These lessons are not for the faint of heart. Each one is a test that I feel I must pass. In the end, I will hopefully be stronger and perhaps a bit wiser. I will have to be, because learning is a life long endeavor. It's for this reason that the Runes have become my life. They define me, motivate me and encourage me along my spiritual path. They teach me strength, courage, wisdom and most important: humility. A warrior can be all those things, and that's what I choose to be.

1 comment:

  1. hey, I had no idea I had a role, however inadvertently, as fate's tool in pushing you along your path. cool!

    ReplyDelete