Monday, April 27, 2009

The Moon

The Moon is the tarot card I drew today. This card isn't as familiar to me as some cards are as I have rarely come across it in my readings.
Bare with me while I stumble my way through, or sail my way through if the card is willing to speak to me today.
For the sake or remaining consistent, I will continue with the usage of The Original Rider Waite deck that I started with. The Moon is depicted in bright fullness with drops of dew raining down upon what appears to be a somewhat marshy area. There is water in the foreground with a crayfish crawling out of it, headed towards the land. In the mid ground of the card stand what appears to be a wolf and a dog. Both are howling at the moon. In the rear of the card stand two towers, one on either side of the card. They are featureless except for a single window. No doors are visible.Just beyond the towers are some hills or low mountains. Stretching from the waters edge and extending into invisibility is a path. It disappears over the hills/mts.
It has been felt by some that the reflected light of the sun that the moon shines out is special and that it provides nourishment for plants and animals, along with the evening dew that falls. I do not have an opinion on this so I am going to drop that part there and move on.
As I look at the Moon card, it imparts to me a feeling of confusion. It gives me more questions than answers. The moon has a face in it. I would suppose it is a female face though that is not obvious. The face is tilted down but the eyes are not open. What can be seen of the face implies that it is frowning down upon the scene below. Is this card calling for us to rise out of the mire and follow the path that travels between chaos and sanity? Possibly if you consider that life supposedly originated in the ocean/water. The crayfish could represent the emergence. The wolf and the dog could be sanity and chaos. The whole card on some level speaks of dream time and choices to be made. I think the towers represent inaccessibility to our own inner thoughts during waking hours,as in the conscious and subconscious mind. The towers have no access but for one very tiny window up high. The windows offer hope of a chance to enter our deepest thoughts and find the answers we seek. The path clearly leads away from the current chaos but it is unsure where the path ends. It does however rises up, perhaps indicating a need for us to rise up to our higher selves.
Please keep in mind that card interpretation is very personal to the person doing it. The Moon may tell an entirely different tale to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment